When future cabbage rolls whisper “make me” in your ear, you listen.
When this happens the day before you plan to make them, even better, as there is some preparation that will help save you time on CRCD (cabbage roll creation day).
things you need to make lentil & buckwheat cabbage rolls:
for the cabbage part
– A head of green cabbage
for the filling
– 3 cups of cooked lentils*
– 1 cup of cooked buckwheat* (or feel free to use 4 cups of the legume/grain blend of your choice!)
– 1 onion, diced
– 2 cloves garlic, minced
– 2 tbsp parsley
– juice from 1 lemon
– 1 tsp paprika
– 1/4 tsp allspice
– salt & pepper
*If you can cook these the day before, this is where you will save lots of time! #protip
I didn’t take any pictures of the inside of my cabbage rolls, so here’s someone else‘s photo of cooked buckwheat to sort of give you an idea of what it looked like, pre-rolling.
for the sauce
– You can use your favourite tomato-based pasta sauce here to speed things up, or
– Saute an onion with minced garlic
– Add a large can of diced tomatoes or use 6-7 freshies, diced
– Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring often
– salt & pepper to taste
1. Put the head of cabbage in boiling water for about 8-10 minutes, until the leaves soften and easily separate. Drain & set aside to cool.
2. Add all the filling ingredients together.
3. Make the sauce and put half of it in a glass pan.
4. Take a cooled cabbage leaf, add about 2 big spoonfuls of filling and roll!
6. Cover with remaining sauce
7. Bake for about 35-40 minutes at 350 Celcius.
optional related reading
1. What is buckwheat?
2. Cabbage rolling techniques